two co-existing projects

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Mon, 28 Apr 1997 17:13:06 -0700

>To: Mike McDonald <mikemac>
>Subject: Re: two co-existing projects
>Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:50:03 -0400
>From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
>
>>   I wouldn't start with Flux on day one. Too many pieces have to be
>> completed before you begin to see anything. Transitioning to Flux
>> after have the basic environment operating might make sense. I'd also
>> prefer to have some experience with the needs of a LispOS before I
>> started implementing one. I think Linux would be a quicker path to
>> getting this experience.
>
>Hmm... well, this definitely has the advantage of a quick start (which
>is a big plus).
>
>Ok... now what CL to use?  You mention ACL, but that's commercial, right?
>
>Richard Coleman
>coleman@math.gatech.edu

  Franz has a full featured version of their Allegro Common Lisp (ACL)
available for Linux for a great price, just the asking!(*) Now, it
doesn't include sources for the lisp system but I don't think we need
that at this point. There's plenty to do before we need to muck with
the lisp compiler. Eventually, we'd probably want to transition to a
completely free implementation like CMU-CL. Maybe by then we could get
the cons.org guys signed up to make the changes necessary. (cons.org
is where the guys who ported CMU-CL to Linux hang out.)

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com

(*) http://www.franz.com/