platforms and interoperability and who is this stuff for

Peter.VanEynde s950045@uia.ua.ac.be
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:43:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On 29 Apr 1997, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> There isn't really isn't much C code in CMU-CL, porting it to Win32
> wouldn't be very hard.  If to an extent we temporarily attach ourselves
> to other Unix things, no big deal, there's the gnu-win32 toolkit to
> provide a Unix API.

Sorry, no can do.

CMUCL uses signals to a great extend: to single-step _itself_, to provide
exception handling, etc. CMUCL _needs_ the registers in the signal
handler, it needs to be able to longjmp out of the handler back to the
toplevel, it needs to be able to mmap an area larger then physical memory
(I've heard of some NT weakness in that area), etc...

Win32 doesn't provide such services, nor does gnu-win32.

I'm afraid a porter to win32 would have to rewrite quite a lot :-(.

Groetjes, Peter

--
It's logic Jim, but not as we know it.
Look in keyservers for PGP key.