two co-existing projects

Alaric B. Williams alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:42:45 +0000

On 28 Apr 97 at 17:56, lispos@math.gatech.edu wrote:

>   Seems kind of silly to use a Lisp that requires a C compiler to
> build a LispOS. Samething goes for CLISP.

Not really... the C is really only used to set up the lowest layer
on the hardware, which is after all what C is /for/ (shame people
write word processors and compilers with it!). I mean, Linux's
gcc isn't written in assembler, but assembler stuff is in the kernel
doing kernelly low level things. Purging C from the "kernel" seems
to be a purely political/religious thing; I mean, C ain't a great
language for a compiler, but if it's already written in C at great
programmer strain, why rewrite it in Lisp just because it'd be easier
the second time around?

ABW
--
Alaric B. Williams (alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk)