A successful lisp machine?

Martin Cracauer cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 23:25:49 +0200 (MET DST)

Harvey Stein wrote:

[...]
> I thing the best bet is to:
>
>    1. Start with Linux (or one of the free BSDs for that matter) + a
>       lisp or scheme.
>    2. Write a loadable kernel module and/or the kernel patches needed
>       so that the lisp side doesn't have to fight the operating system.

Do you want to put the Lisp system in the kernel or a LKM?

Or just the "support" stuff such as memory tuning interfaces to
synchronice paging and GC and or replacement for the siggnal
messaging mechanism?

>    3. Keep the system unix compatible so that people can do C hacking
>       & can use C apps at the same time as their lisp machine.

[Reasons deleted]

I think it is no question that we need to keep a full-featured Unix
kernel, for hardware drivers and the X11 server alone.

Our system could serve as a user-friendly replacement for end-users,
if we succeed to have a good mechanism to modify the configuration of
the system (as I said earlier, I think Lisp has the best chances to do
so).

Our system would come up, start their Netscape and Wordperfect and X11
clients like those Windows NT-to-X11 mappers just like on any other
Unix clone, but we have a good change to be the Unix clone with the
most useable GUI admin toolkit.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>