Re[2]: two co-existing projects

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
29 Apr 1997 18:54:44 -0700

BH> MacIvory communicates with the MacIntosh via an RPC mechanism for
BH> low-level I/O services.  LispOS can certainly communicate with the
BH> host OS, Linux, via a more efficient low-level I/O services.  I
BH> would like to login to my Linux machine, start a Genera-like
BH> process, and get my X-Windows Genera-like screen.  Maybe not
BH> everything has to be Genera-like, but at least all of the
BH> functionality that my 6-year-old MacIvory 3 technology has been
BH> provided.

This idea still seems to me to be a good tradeoff between what is
possible, what is desirable, and what is needed in order to have a
usable system during development.  I think this approach could be be
especially flexible with a microkernel Unix (e.g. MkLinux and Hurd).

Maybe I'm the only one that has never used Genera, or for that matter
any Lisp Machine, but I know any technical documentation, old source
code, or design papers would be a welcome resource.