lispOS and hardware

Harvey J. Stein abel@netvision.net.il
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:50:35 +0300

Richard Coleman writes:
 > 1) minimal Linux kernel (Debian or Slackware)

Make that Debian or Redhat.  Slackware can be hell to deal with, and
last I checked doesn't upgrade easily.

<snip>

 > Then we set up a running distribution.  Something I can set
 > up and start hacking on.  lispOS 0.0 is born.  At some point,
 > we will want a full CVS tree of the whole thing.  We can easily
 > merge in changes from the CMU-CL tree as it develops.

<snip>

 > Keep it Simple... Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

If you really want to make it simple, make LispOS 0.0 both a debian
and redhat package that can just be installed on a running Linux
machine.  Imagine the number of people you'll miss out on if you tell
them they have to wipe out their linux systems and reinstall the
Linux bases LispOS system to be able to play with LispOS.  These are
all the experienced programmer/Lisp neophytes who are going to force
us to clean up all the system's rough edges, who are going to submit
tons of bug reports to help us make everything robust, and who
eventually will get so fed up with how slow we're adding the
features/fixing bugs that they want/don't want, that they will just
start submitting patches.

Better than Keep it Simple - Keep it Accessable.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research