First proposal: what should LispOS feel like?

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
30 Apr 1997 04:29:06 -0700

MC> This is, BTW, another reason to prefer FreeBSD over Linux. The
MC> 4.4BSD networking framework has an excellent description in
MC> Richard W. Stevens "TCP/IP Illustrated", while the Linux folks
MC> constantly reimplement the whole networking.

As long as we are talking about relatively simple hooks to
conventional Unix kernels, can we please "not go there"?

In the case of userfs, the module that gets loaded into Linux is a
small standalone piece of code that fills in some file, inode, and superblock
functions.  The rest of the files are generic and support user I/O.
In all, about 80k.

These sorts of differences can be adapted to within one autoconfiguring
source tree.