Single Address Space OSs - papers

Dwight Hughes dwighth@intellinet.com
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 19:41:11 -0500

| From: Dwight Hughes <dwighth@intellinet.com>
|
| These OS projects are concentrating on 64 bit address spaces on
| 64 bit CPUs but should provide insights for LispOS nevertheless.
|
| Mungi project papers:
| <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~disy/papers.html>
|
| Opal project papers:
| <http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/levy/opal/opalpapers.html>
|
| Sombrero project (and various SASOS links):
| <http://www.eas.asu.edu/~sasos/>

Although the Sombrero page above has a pointer to it, I would
like to call particular attention to the Grasshopper OS project:
<http://www.psrg.cs.usyd.edu.au/Grasshopper/Papers/Papers.html>.

They have developed some excellent and very general abstractions
for dealing with SAS/persistent OS issues. They have also given
some attention to the need to execute "conventional" Unix-style
programs (with their associated memory structures) within their
OS model. Check out:

"Grasshopper: An Orthogonally Persistent Operating System"
Report: GH-10
Authors: Alan Dearle, Rex di Bona, James Farrow, Frans Henskens,
Anders Lindstrom, John Rosenberg, Francis Vaughan

and

"The Grand Unified Theory of Address Spaces"
Report: GH-11
Authors: Anders Lindstrom, John Rosenberg, Alan Dearle

-- Dwight