Fw: The LispOS Project: a position paper, part 2

Marcus G. Daniels marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu
03 Jun 1997 04:31:47 -0700

ET> I don't own a PowerMac.  The selection of a platform will probably
ET> have to be a pragmatic one.  I have no great love for the Intel
ET> x86 architecture, but I have own a few x86 processors, and that
ET> counts for a lot.

ET> We actually used the Orbit compiler to generate code for the
ET> K-machine.  It is much more difficult to modify the back end than
ET> advertised.  This would be a substantial effort, but not
ET> impossible.

The absence of a x86 backend in Orbit bothers me.
The machines I have the opportunity to casually crash are 486 PCs.

Kazumoto Kojima <kkojima@kk.info.kanagawa-u.ac.jp> is doing PMAX MIPS
(e.g. Decstation) hacking with Mach, but he has a fair amount of work
that isn't in the gnumach source tree yet.