The LispOS Project: a position paper, part 2

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 14:10:09 -0700

>To: "Scott L. Burson" <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
>Subject: Re: The LispOS Project: a position paper, part 2
>Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:38:15 -0700
>From: Kelly Murray <kem@franz.com>

>Maybe I missed it, but there was little activity discussing work at
>the app layer, and now we're now back to discussing
>kernel/hardware issues AGAIN.
>It's all wasted breath and bandwidth if we can't agree or
>get support for actually writing working programs at the app layer.

  Given that most of the people on this list have expressed an
interest in doing kernel hacking, it's not too surprising that most of
the discussion is about kernels. [Personally, as someone who already
has done kernel hacking for a living, I think they're all NUTS! But
then, to each his own. :-) ]

>Frankly, I'm just about ready to drop off this list altogether
>and stop wasting my time reading the mail.
>
>I'm working as my time permits on building a SilkMachine,
>and will continue to do so.
>
>As soon as I get the mail system and mailing list system working,
>I intend to start my own SilkMachine mailing list and associated
>website, that will be run entirely using Lisp, persistence, and the web.
>At this point, I'll start "talking" again to get outside support,
>and will have actual working code so others can  understand in
>concrete terms what needs to be done and where it's all going.
>
>-kelly edward murray

  Until there is a framework in place, I believe that nothing is going
to get accomplished except endless debate. So, as soon as you get your
mailer working and I get my CLIM working, then maybe we can get others
started too.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com

P.S. I think I understand your GIF desires now and I'm giving it some
thought.