Position & proposal

Paul Prescod papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:03:50 -0400 (EDT)

> The basic assumptions behind creating Yet Another Lisp Machine are
> two-fold:
> 1)  that a networkable _personal_ computer provides greater productivity
> than any form of timesharing -
> whether it's called a Network Computer, Java, or mainframe and

I'm not sure what this assumption has to do with a Lisp Machine. Why shouldn't
a good Lisp Machine support any of the above modes of operation depending
on which is the most appropriate? Isn't Unix's scalability from
personal user OS to shared mini-computer OS one of the things Unix did
right that Microsoft consistently gets wrong? Is there a good reason to
ignore one side of the single/multi-user spectrum?

 Paul Prescod