The feel of a LispM/List of running machines

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Thu, 01 May 1997 10:37:49 +1000

>I think one of the foremost LispM features is the debugger system.  And
>this also is an answer to something you asked in a different message re:
>what can you do in a pure lisp system that you can't do with one running
>under Unix?  With a VLM running under Unix, you are completely hosed if
>something in the Unix system breaks (a disturbingly frequent event!).

Well if you restrict yourself to the LispOS world, then nothing on the
Unix side of things should break. They only break when you do things
the Unix way.

>Unix's file system is a total loss.  We need things like version
>numbering, ACL's, two-level file deletion (delete/expunge), file-plists
>for arbitrary user-defined properties, Don't-Delete flags, logical
>pathnames, etc.

I havn't used NeXTstep, but I heard that while they use a UNIX file
system it is completely hidden by the NeXT object paradigm.

In a similar way, Linux has a feature to make a brain-dead MS-DOS file
system have all the extra things of a Unix file system (like symbolic
links).

In the same way you can build a lisp file system on top of the Unix
file system and save some work in the short run, while still providing
all the above features that you so desire.