CMU-CL and lispOS

Tim Pierce twpierce@mail.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu, 1 May 1997 01:56:58 -0500 (CDT)

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:13:05 -0400
> From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
>
> For this project, I think a fairly liberal license is a good idea.
> A liberal version of the BSD license maybe....
>
> So it sounds to me, that CMU-CL on top of a minimal Linux setup
> has the most support.

Bear in mind that the Linux kernel is under the GPL.  So even if
CMU-CL is not under the GNU Public License, any system built
substantially upon the Linux work will necessarily inherit the
GPL.

I have no objection to this -- I very much prefer the GPL and put
my work under it whenever possible.  But it is important to have
our eyes open at the beginning of such a project, and I can see
the unfortunate practical reasons in favor of a BSD-style license.