Foonly for the Future

Christopher Stacy cstacy@pilgrim.com
Thu, 1 May 1997 18:54:34 -0400

Symbolics wrote a complete Lisp Machine emulator that runs under Digital
UNIX on high-end DEC Alpha systems.  It is called "Open Genera", and it
is the complete Symbolics environment,  available on that current stock
hardware, it works great, and it's available for sale right now.
The folks at MIT who brought you CL-HTTP use this technology extensively.

Not that this has much to do with the discussion, but...
As Henry Baker explained, the Foonly was a PDP-10 clone machine.
The Foonly at Symbolics ran TENEX; I don't think anyone ever wrote ITS
microcode for it.  There is a portable PDP-10 emulator that will run both
ITS and TOPS-20.  For various (legal) reasons, it is not available,
but the person who wrote it has been working on making it available for
years, so someday you can have it. (Why you think you would want it is
beyond me, though.  Do you want to run MACLISP? :)