The feel of a LispM/List of running machines

Mike McDonald mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com
Thu, 01 May 1997 16:40:55 -0700

>Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 18:20:13 -0500 (CDT)
>From: David Gadbois <gadbois@cyc.com>
>To: mikemac
>Subject: Re: The feel of a LispM/List of running machines
>
>   Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 13:28:13 -0700
>   From: Mike McDonald <mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com>
>
>   Printers didn't live in a "printer's directory". They were
>   represented by namespace object, along with hosts, users, and
>   sites.  Theyre were commands to print files and do screen dumps
>   (anyone else hack LPGs?). Since this was before the days of
>   PostScript, if you had a PS printer hooked up and wanted to
>   generate specific PS for it, you'd have to do that yourself.
>
>Actually, the PostScript support got really good by release 8.  For
>example, I just did:

  Didn't mean to slight the PostScript support. We were doing VLSI
CAD. When we wanted to print a large schematic, we needed to do
pagation of the output so we could tape it all back together after
printing. The built in PS support didn't help for that. We had to
manage it ourselves. Definitely not a "typical" user's requirement.

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com