The feel of a LispM/List of running machines

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Thu, 01 May 1997 19:01:21 -0500

--==_Exmh_949756128P

>  - Devices. Are there printer objects in a "printers" directory?
>    Or are printers not "reified", meaning there's something like
>    a (send-to-printer <printer-number> <string>), ie a programmer-level
>    only thing like DOS and Windows do it?

Probably the closest thing to the Unix idea of making everything look like a
file was the LispM concept of the stream.  Basically, every device you might
want to write to was implemented as a stream object which supported a known
set of methods for reading and writing.  If you wanted to send the output of a
function to the printer instead of the *standard-output*, you'd simply do this:

(let ((*standard-output* *my-printer-object*))
   )

Simple, no?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_949756128P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM2kuypaQnaaFII2dAQHo9wMA0jwJYoU06lTKKdg8HblZlOlsD89IAXno
MTOZicga9zAKuVMI3HM4fFWvc9A74BJGb0aMF7gvlztB7Txvrl4uYG2FP5nEwMld
1KSWxAmroTY0RxVpkle1cflvZzZhMUc+
=XR+P
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_949756128P--