A successful lisp machine?

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Fri, 02 May 1997 11:06:39 +1000

>If you have a closer look, TeX is quite horrible.
>Certainly, it's often much more useful than a typical WYSIWYG (WYGIWYD?)
>word processor, but look closely: TeX is a very very primitive macro
>programming language. Another language. And what an unwieldy one.
>It's extremely difficult to make TeX do more complex things.
>
>I'd prefer a small LISP package providing basic typesetting functions.

Yes, the TeX language is horrible, but re-writing TeX is a bigger
project than writing LispOS!

OTOH, putting a Lisp interface *on top of* TeX is is a pretty small,
pretty easy project. We can have our cake and eat it too! Let's not
reinvent the wheel, Let's take the current blueprint for a wheel and
add pnumatic tyres!