The feel of a LispM/List of running machines

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Fri, 02 May 1997 12:33:32 +1000

>> >WHY does unix still have no version
>> >numbers?
>>
>> Emacs has them, and emacs runs on Unix.
>
>Not at all.  Under Unix Emacs is simulating a versioning number.
>Which means that the newest file has NO number.
>
>On the Symbolics versioning is PART of the OS, and the newest file
>is simply the highest number.

You missed the point.

The point is, that for people who would like to retain UNIX
compatibility, an arbitrarily advanced or complex Lisp file system can
be implemented on top of a UNIX file system. That doesn't mean that
the facility has to be any less seamless or any less "part of the
LispOS".

Of course a native Lisp file system will of course be faster and more
optimised in it's implementation. That's fine, I'd like one of those
too :-)