files, printers, etc. [Re: The feel of a LispM/List of running machines]

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Thu, 01 May 1997 21:39:32 -0500

--==_Exmh_1570244728P

> IMHO this is a bad idea. One of the things that Unix gets right over
> the NT/DOS world is avoiding this machine:file or a:file syntax.
>
> Files should be located where they logically belong. If application
> FooBar happens to be on machine "tiger", I shouldn't have to know
> that. Besides, it might be moved onto machine "lion" one day.
>
> I, as a dumb user just want to type ">applications>FooBar" and have it
> found.

On a lisp machine, you define logical hosts which map to physical locations
which may be anywhere.  Therefore you type:

	foo:bar;baz.lisp

and it gets converted to lispm:>wherever>bar>baz.lisp or unixbox:/usr/local/
bar/baz.lisp or whatever.

The different subdirectories of the logical host foo may even exist on a
variety of different systems.  The mistake is in trying to map things which
truely are different to all look like the same lowest common denominator.
(i.e., a Unix path)

> >In addition to the usual TCP (and RPC) based file access protocols,
> >the Lisp Machine also has its own proprietary protocol called NFILE.
> >Think of it as sort of like NFS, except there's no mounting, configuring,
> >pretending that file names all look like UNIX, getting hung up, locking
> >problems, or anything else.
>
> You need some security, and you need interoperability, and you need
> caching, and you need multi-user. That means you need mounting,
> configuring and pretending and locking.

Yea....you're point is?

> Unix isn't the way it is just through bloody-mindedness.

Much of it is.  BTW, have you read the UNIX-HATERS handbook?  You should.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_1570244728P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM2lT3ZaQnaaFII2dAQGiTQL/az77fnxUlcDbufmbFUcPiTETfj8ucp+u
lz2Q6DPdty6EL4dJcSxIc7RSf0MyYYNsXStwbiJ7oQr2nM77a+RGzDK1Q7Wrsfab
hkjxs6XofwEXD98El3flvoLpmUQyHKeJ
=SmrF
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1570244728P--