First proposal: what should LispOS feel like?

Antti Huima ahuima@niksula.hut.fi
Fri, 2 May 1997 10:59:43 +0300 (EEST)

Alaric B. Williams writes:
 > How about - object IDs are represented as network addresses
 > and local addresses with a large enough range to make
 > scanning for valid addresses next to impossible - and
 > grant privileges by passing obejct IDs to people, so they
 > can then see them?

Problem: object ID is bound to the objects [current] location. If you
wish your objects could migrate from hosts to others, then you do not
want to have absolute network addresses in their IDs!

I propose a slight variation of the scheme: all object IDs are
represented as local addresses with a large enough range (e.g. 128
bits; guessing one random 128-bit address is equivalent to cracking
IDEA by brute force (a state-of-the-art symmetric cipher)). The local
kernel maps local addresses to either local objects or addresses at a
remote host. Thus the applications see only local addresses but they
can refer to either a local or a remote object.

--
  Antti (Antti.Huima@hut.fi)
              * The blood of Christ cleanses from all sin. *