The feel of a LispM/List of running machines

Kelly Murray kem@Franz.COM
Fri, 02 May 1997 10:49:03 -0700

> What I'm saying is that we can store things into UNIX files at a
> particular level of granularity.

My idea is only database "files" exists, e.g.  boot.db, silk.db, etc.
Each database file can be as big or small as it needs to.
We use the UNIX file system for those DB files.
Eventually they might go directly to the disk as disk pages,
but that is a *lot* of additional work, which man RDB and OODP companies
say improves performance only around 10%.
We might not even got that improvement, because the db files
are primarly used as simple memory page backing store.

-kelly