A successful lisp machine?

Tim Pierce twpierce@mail.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri, 2 May 1997 16:05:12 -0500 (CDT)

> Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 21:10:14 +0300
> From: "Harvey J. Stein" <abel@netvision.net.il>
>
> Thomas Fischbacher writes:
>  >
>  > If you have a closer look, TeX is quite horrible.
>  > I'd prefer a small LISP package providing basic typesetting functions.
>
> So would I.  But what am I going to do with the megabytes of *.tex
> files?

Port TeX.  It may surprise you to learn that TeX was not developed
on Unix, and is not wedded to the Unix paradigm.  (Or it may not
surprise you.  But people seem to forget that this is an
applications question, one which I think is largely tangential to
the important questions surrounding the design of a new Lisp
system.)