Flux toolkit as LispOS base

John Casu John_Casu@NeTpower.com
Fri, 02 May 97 17:49:00 PDT

I'm not sure that Flux/Fluke/Oskit is the right way to go here.

I'm much more inclined towards the Mach4/Utah Lites,  OSF MkLinux or GNU
Hurd stuff for the
following reasons::

i)  Mach is mature proven technology, and provides nearly all the
underlying
      functionality one would need to implement LispOS on a micro kernel.
 We probably
      don't have to do too much extra work to get it to do the right
things properly,
      especially if we can work off the OSF code base.

      Plus, the new wonderful adventurous stuff we are going to do is
presumably
      going to be part of the new LispOS itself.

ii)  Mach already works on more than one hardware architecture.  What I
mean is
      Dec Futurebus vs. Sun Mbus vs PC PCI bus, in addition to Pentium
vs. Sparc vs. Alpha.

iii)  Utah Lites/MkLinux already provide a working Linux based Unix
environment that we can
      jettison or absorb later.
      BTW, MKLinux (which is my preference) supports PowerPC, Intel x86
and PA-RISC already.
      It wouldn't take too much additional effort to support Alpha, Sparc
and MIPS.

Don't get me wrong.. I think Flux/Oskit is a *very* cool piece of
technology, and were we
to be doing OS research, an appropriate thing to use.  Just not for this
project.