Flux toolkit as LispOS base

Arthur A. Gleckler arthur@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Fri, 2 May 1997 18:46:54 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

|>From: "Dwight Hughes" <dhughes@intellinet.com>
|>To: <lispos@math.gatech.edu>
|>Subject: Re: Flux toolkit as LispOS base
|>Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 18:57:15 -0500

|>I'm not against using CMUCL, it is only that we should keep this in mind
|>and
|>not warp our environment to fit a tool that was warped to fit unix-style
|>kernels.
|>

|  OK, so now we have neither an OS nor a lisp implementation, since by
|definition, they all are warped by their initial design tradeoffs.

I don't think this is what Dwight meant.  He just said that we should be
careful with CMUCL.  I agree.  While building on top of Unix is very likely to
have a strong effect on the process model, virtual memory model, etc., and
there is at least one alternative (the FluxOS Toolkit), building on top of
CMUCL has less (some, but less) chance of twisting our design.  I suspect even
the deepest internals of CMUCL will be easier to change, too.