LispOS directly on hardware or on Unix kernel?

Harvey J. Stein abel@netvision.net.il
Sat, 3 May 1997 16:52:45 +0300

Alaric B. Williams writes:
 > Or I remember hearing that Linux now supports Java bytecodes
 > "natively". How about extending it to support SilkVM bytecodes
 > "natively" with an in-or-near-kernel native code compiler?

All this means is basically that the kernel recognizes a java bytecode
file & will execute it by starting up the java interpreter.  It's
really no different than the way the kernel supports shell scripts
"natively".

There is no java interpreter or java anything else inside or "near"
the kernel, so there's nothing to extend for supporting "SilkVM"
bytecodes "in-or-near" the kernel.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research