Time to get busy!

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Sat, 03 May 1997 15:58:08 -0500

--==_Exmh_635951796P

>   Mail reader: use clim (OK, you have an excuse for the moment. I'll
> do my best to get a reasonable subset out real soon now!) Start
> thinking about what a mail reader should do. (An awful lot of it
> doesn't have anything to do with the UI.)

I'm currently writing a GUI mail program in Perl/Tk.  (Using Perl/Tk because
it didn't make me quite as sick to the stomach as Tcl/Tk did.)  It is object
oriented and should port fairly well since I tend to write as if I were
working in Lisp anyway.  I'll probably continue to work on that until y'all
are at the point where I can learn from my mistakes in the Perl/Tk version and
reimplement it in lisp using clim (which should be easier becuase clim is much
higherlevel than Tk, even with the object oriented interface from Perl).

Oomph (Object Oreiented Mail Processor/Handler) is designed to support MIME
from the bottom up and uses oo-techniques to generalize concepts like "mail
folder", "mail message" etc. in order to support everything from babyl files
to imap to multipart/digest.  Inspiration comes from systems as diverse as
LispM Zmail, Eudora, Exmh, and Cyberdog.  The "design document" is in my head
and is evolving as I go along.  I'll not only need a working clim, but I'll
also need a working Lisp-based editor that is capable of being embedded in
clim.  Who's going to take that on?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_635951796P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM2um2JaQnaaFII2dAQFYFgL+IzoNbxI3AndiDXdk2S5BGkKKSGkOyAHV
OxT9hNTAWGH3Fvu4kZTLRGMp5OrHDvqzgLkftINRRoe8n5as5cX6lG1Ka4zmBz7a
DWd6a3b4TV1VI81kbOr5XS56eSkhGJiU
=qLU0
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_635951796P--