Project list

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Mon, 05 May 1997 12:00:51 -0500

--==_Exmh_284490764P

> Now, why am I coming around?  Because there seems to be tremendous
> energy behind using Linux/BSD as the dev platform.  I hear
> a lot of talk of just taking Linux and bit-by-bit replacing the C
> parts with Lisp.  In this scenario, the Unix model will be with us
> for some time to come.  It's not my ideal for a Lisp OS, but it is
> an interesting project with definite goals which will ultimately have
> tremendous benefits (it will, for example be the best platform for
> developing the Lisp OS with fully Lispy internals).  So, let's not
> spend any thought to C->Lisp now.  It's definitely a sideshow.

Well said.  It seems that a system built on Linux/BSD and gradually replacing
the pieces is more likely to actually be built.  Once it is, it would be
a great platform on which to build the system that I think we all really want.
It'll also be a good place to make mistakes which can be learned from before
the real OS is written.  If we can focus on this model, then we can stop
arguing about whether or not pathnames should be supported and instead try to
generalize an interface which can support both pathnames and something more
lispy.

So...while the linux/BSD argument rages on, could I get a quick pointer to
CMU-CL from someone since we appear to have agreed on that?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_284490764P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM24SPJaQnaaFII2dAQGz8wL/dhvAjFJrwH/VBO7UTaZE7Kr1vIQTL6uz
3oVuzYWaV5a7htGdk/mXqGWfdTBSDD48mol+QzznnXiqFe6v0dh3fwGw5TE4JpEl
P95b6cO0MY2XmLlA+UmFtx3EFN/BJboZ
=Sl+p
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_284490764P--