pathnames [Re: files, printers, etc. [Re: The feel of a Lisp

Luca Pisati pisati@nichimen.com
Tue, 06 May 1997 14:43:11 -0700

Mike McDonald wrote:

> >Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 14:29:54 -0700
> >From: Luca Pisati <pisati@nichimen.com>
> >To: Mike McDonald <mikemac>
> >Subject: Re: pathnames [Re: files, printers, etc. [Re: The feel of a Lisp

> >>   Nope, not that either. Even Unix has a many to one mapping when it
> >> comes to its file systems.
> >
> >Do you mean links ?
> >
> >>   Mike McDonald
> >>   mikemac@engr.sgi.com
> >
> >--
> >Luca Pisati                   Voice:    (310) 577-0518
>
>   Links, and .. both allow you to create multiple paths to the same
> file.

And we do have a problem, indeed with links.

We do save out files, which contain references to other files.
Whenever users start to access one of those files through a
different link, well, then we can have troubles.

I would like to have more than one path, if those paths would
be always known (as if I could ask to unix: which is the
primary path of this path ?)  Well, mostly I think I would
like to have a database oriented FS in which file referencing
other files would be known to the database ...

--
Luca Pisati		       Voice:	 (310) 577-0518
Nichimen Graphics	       Fax:	 (310) 577-0577