mapping files to objects

David Gadbois gadbois@cyc.com
Wed, 7 May 1997 07:26:37 -0500 (CDT)

   Date: Wed, 07 May 1997 10:54:08 +1000
   From: "Chris Bitmead uid(x22068)" <Chris.Bitmead@alcatel.com.au>

   But why do you want to read such files? No self-respecting LispOS
   would store mail in UNIX mail format.

I used the Zmail mail reader in Genera for about ten years.  During
that time, under a number of different administrative regimes, my mail
got delivered to various lispms, a TOPS-20 host, a VMS host, and
various UNIX boxen.  Zmail understood all their formats and could
access the inboxes via FTP, NFS, or whatever.  When the next
revolution came, all I had to do was change a single pathname in my
Zmail configuration.

It was great.  One of the things we should shoot for in LispOS is this
kind of interoperability and independence of the latest craze.

--David Gadbois