Our Manifesto (Please Read)

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Thu, 08 May 1997 09:29:47 +1000

>As Martin Cracauer has already pointed out, the Manifesto is not the
>place for Microsoft bashing

I thought every place is a place for Microsoft bashing? :-) :-)

>> How we Intend to Achieve Our Goals
>>
>>         We will start small and work our way up.  Currently there are
>>         2 branches of work.  One is on a Lisp Virtual Machine, for the
>>         efficient execution of Lisp (and possibly other dynamic languages).
>>         This virtual machine will use a portable byte code format, and
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
>
>This has not been agreed upon, and I would object to this.

I presume this means you are in favour of native code?

The problem I can see with that, is that since all processes in a
lispOS are "trusted", and share the same address space, then having
native binaries opens the way for hackers to write rogue programs.

Or maybe something can be done with trusted keys to ensure a
particular binary is trusted???