Linux Comments [Re: Time to get busy!]

Dwight Hughes dhughes@intellinet.com
Wed, 7 May 1997 23:46:54 -0500

From: Tim Pierce <twpierce@mail.bsd.uchicago.edu>
| > From: Dwight Hughes <dhughes@intellinet.com>
| > The differences between Linux
| > and FreeBSD don't seem to be of any great magnitude (please,
| > no flames, I mean in ways that would make a significant
| > difference to this project) other than the number and variety
| > of devices supported, where Linux is a clear leader. This
| > could be important to this project -- allowing more people
| > to easily participate using almost any scraped together PC.
|
| Oh, I don't know if that's true: the *BSDs and FreeBSD in
| particular support *quite* a lot of random devices.  The people I
[...]
One's view of devices supported rather depends on what devices you
happen to have I guess <g>.

| For me, coming up to speed on Linux internals merely to throw them
| all away again does not sound appealing.  I am personally more
| interested in investigating Flux directly, and will be downloading
| the toolkit as soon as it's released to see how the pieces fit
| together.

I'm not too fond of the idea either -- but what tools we have are
Linux/*BSD based. Perhaps modifying them to do a sort of cross
development might be possible. Whatever we do, I definitely want
an approach that will allow us to use others work in device drivers.
Flux seems to be able to do this but I haven't investigated how
and with what limitations. I guess we need to shut up and do the
research.

-- Dwight