Publishing Genera doc in HTML (was: About lispOS...)

Kalman Reti reti@RIVERSIDE.SCRC.Symbolics.COM
Thu, 8 May 1997 16:40 -0400

    Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 21:06 EDT
    From: "Luca Pisati" <pisati@nichimen.com>

	  Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:30 EDT
	  From: Luca Pisati <pisati@nichimen.com>

	  > A nice thing to have would be a "Document Examiner to HTML"
	  > converter. You would put >10000 pages Lisp machine documentation
	  > online.

	  Does anybody in this list still works at Symbolics ?

      Yes.

    Do you mean: Yes, I work at Symbolics,

Yes, I work at Symbolics.

					   and yes we could
    authorize the Web publication of LispM documentation ?

Almost.  I've talked about publishing the documentation on the Web to my
management, and thought some about what it would take to do it, but haven't
yet been given a go-ahead to actually do it.

	  Could the Genera doc be made available in HTML or PDF format
	  through the Web ?

      It's been on my list of things to do. There was a rumor that someone in
      Germany had actually done some working to get the document examiner
      to output to html, but both John Mallery and my attempts to contact
      the revelant party never received
      any answer.

    Well, I work at what was Symbolics Graphics Division (and now
    is Nichimen Graphics). So I do have all the equipment for trying
    to do that.  If I reach some goal, could the doc be made publicly
    available ?

I think so, but I'll have to check with management to be certain.  If I were
to do the project, I'd use John Mallery's CL-HTTP server and just output HTML
from the document database instead of styled text (to the Lispm window version)
or postscript (to the printed version).

	  (Even whitout an HTML converter, Document examiner can print
	  postcript to files, which can be turned into PDF)

    Again, PDF from Postcript, even without Hyperlinks, could
    be a first step to make a lot of people on this list know
    what LispM were all about.