KNU vs GNU

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Fri, 09 May 1997 11:59:29 +1000

>Consider we built this LispOS thing and Microsoft saw how great it was,
>and so they took it, gave up on WindowsXX and sold it for $99 as their
>new and improved operating system.
>Would you consider our efforts failed or successful?

I guess that would depend on if my initials were B.G. :-)

Seriously though... We have quite a few examples of big companies
taking Linux on board and contributing their efforts back to the
community. Digital and NeXT come to mind.

The questions come down to this.

- Would more companies take Linux on board if they could improve it
and make it proprietry? (Only BSDi has taken much out of BSD as far as
I know.)

- Would the companies that have already taken Linux on board have
given their changes back if they weren't forced? (Certainly NeXT did
not want to)

If your answer is YES/YES _consider_ BSD licence. If NO/NO then
_definitely_ GNU. If other, you have to weigh it up.