What's a POS??

Kelly Murray kem@Franz.COM
Thu, 08 May 1997 23:16:27 -0700

There are many approaches to persistent objects that give very different
answers to questions on how it works.

The way to learn how they work is to go read the research literature,
read the OODB companies product descriptions and white papers.

I can point to AllegroStore as an existing, working
commercial product which is an instance of a persistent CLOS that
represents certain properties and implementation decision.
There are many others too.

My own persistent CLOS implementation is still in progress so some
design decisions have not yet been made.
It is a very different implementation than AllegroStore,
but will likely have a similiar kind of API as AllegroStore
which was actually mostly copied from Symbolics' Statice
(customers wanted this same API)

It is probably most useful to look and play with real working examples
that use persistent CLOS.
I hope to demonstrate how this all works with SMTP/mailer code that I'm
working on.

-kelly