Unicode (Was: mikemac's proposal)

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Fri, 09 May 1997 16:33:28 -0500

--==_Exmh_2064378866P

> <flame>
> As a multi-lingual European I'm often amazed how much software _still_
> thinks that everybody is an American. The amount of work I have to do to
> get X and xemacs to accept dead-keys is frustrating. And even then it
> doesn't work 100%. (like ispell) :-(
> </flame>

I'm glad to see so many non-americans on this list, so I hope y'all can keep
this of us in the USA in line on this important issue.  If Mike's CLIM
implementation falls short in this area, for instance, be sure you beat him up.

Certainly internally a character is a character is a character and if they're
implemented in 8 bits or 32 is an implementation detail that I don't want to
think about as long as any string can contain a mix of all characters *and* I
can export text in a variety of character sets.  When we get to this point,
it'll be interesting to figure out how to generate a proper MIME message
containing a mix of greek and japanese since the granulatity is all wrong in
MIME...but first we need the substrate.  Any europeans volunteering to make
unicode work in CMU-CL?

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_2064378866P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM3OYFZaQnaaFII2dAQF3jQMAzR+akFxAZO2cv7+5mEZ1RT45wQPaGHhE
zvrMSMk8WKt3gJLEwStmPYE1QIE2fG50MS3VcngrR4VqGS39zE5fhhGzBk5FsRht
XqeGL4AvgIGVw9fAZIxA5gBcGwPlvz3g
=Kz6W
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_2064378866P--