A successful lisp machine?

Antonio Leitao aml@gia.ist.utl.pt
11 May 1997 16:01:17 +0100

>>>>> "Thomas" =3D=3D Thomas Fischbacher <tf@another.gun.de> writes:

[...]

 Thomas> I think I could help in building a LISP-based typesetting
 Thomas> system (though I should pay a little bit more attention to
 Thomas> my studies :) ), but some things are too important to be
 Thomas> decided by a single individual or a small group.
 Thomas> If we really want a good LISP typesetting system,
 Thomas> not to get in contact with TUG would be a big mistake.

 Thomas> Anyone else interested in "LISP-TeX"?

I'm extremely interested in a LISP-TeX. As a matter of fact, I'm
extremely interested in every LISP-whatever we can think about just
because the extension language would be LISP.

Most people would agree the extending TeX or LaTeX is rather
difficult. The language isn't obvious, there are a lot of exceptions
to the general rules and so on.

It would be very interesting if we could manage to create a Lisp-like
interface to the TeX system. I don't mean to replace the entire TeX
engine, but using Lisp to extend TeX would be great.

As an example, I have some Lisp functions that accept a tree as input
and produce a TeX description to draw that tree using
pstricks. Currently, I must run my Lisp program before running TeX. It
would be fantastic if I could "include" the Lisp program in the
article and just call the appropriate function to generate the tree.

By the way, I tried to generate the tree within TeX, (and I did manage
to do that) but it was an hard and extremely error-prone task.

Ant=F3nio Leit=E3o.