LispOS licensing

Ingemar Hulthage hulthage@cinenet.net
Sun, 11 May 1997 15:59:11 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: LispOS licensing
To: jordan@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (Jordan Henderson)
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 15:11:42 -0700 (PDT)

"Jordan Henderson wrote: "
> How about we form an organization that holds the copyright on the original
> material and license it to commercial organizations for their use (for 3-5
> years at a time) while still giving out the stuff to hobbyists, researchers,
> educators, etc.  We could use the money for supporting development that
> Any problems with this?

I think that's a much better idea than GPL.  Such an organization
could be set up so that it's controlled by the people who have
contributed most to LispOS.  I don't think it's realistic to expect
that this organization would earn any significant amounts of money,
but it should be possible to control the distribution and evolution
of LispOS and to cover the cost of CD-ROM distributions and the like.

The main arguments against this are the legal costs and the effort
required to run such an organization.

Ingemar

Ingemar Hulthage

23327 Paloma Blanca Dr.