Testing the waters.

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Mon, 12 May 1997 15:43:05 +1000

>> Can you tell us more about this slot value and inverse function stuff?
>
> Kelly wrote:
>An inverse function does the inverse of an slot accessor function.

Sounds a bit like a special case of what some object databases have,
which is allow you to do a global query, "get me the person object
whose name is "Fred Smith" "

The main benefit of this approach is that you can create person
objects without having to bother putting them into an explicit
collection.

This is convenient in a lot of database applications, because one
database services a very specific need.

In the case of where the "database" is potentially servicing many
users who all have a different set of requirments for working, I can
see the real danger of objects getting "lost", unless there is a
*root* from which everything interesting is linked.

If you really like the behaviour of not having to link an object to a
collection, I guess you can make an object put itself into a well
known hash table upon creation to give the same illusion.