POS

Chris Bitmead uid(x22068) Chris.Bitmead@Alcatel.com.au
Tue, 13 May 1997 10:25:12 +1000

>> Well, I would have thought that you'd flag things at creation time
>> as to how you wanted them to persist. Something like wrappers, for example;
>>
>> (allocate-synchronous
>>   (make-instance 'big-important-thingy))
>
>Unfortunately this instance of big-important-thingy doesn't have a
>*name* so the user can't know when it is safe to clean it up.

It doesn't have a name because it's not attached to anything. So the
GC will pick it up quick.

>On Unix if
>I notice that my HTTP server is taking up too much memory (e.g. it has a
>leak) then I kill it and start again.

Everybody on this list seems to want 1 address space. I can't see how
you will know how much your http server is taking up without killing
it, doing a gc and finding out.

>Navigating memory blocks (whether
>written in C or Lisp) is too hard because they are only named by cryptic
>programmer-names.

That's nothing to do with persistency though.

>Yes, Lisp apps can have leaks too (of a different
>sort). But when I kill my persistent-HTTP server all of the data that
>was associated with it disappears (e.g. configuration files)!

Configuration files would be referenced in a well known place as well
as the server. Therefore they wouldn't disappear. They would be
re-referenced on start-up.