Complex numbers

Henry G. Baker hbaker@netcom.com
Thu, 15 May 1997 06:42:04 -0700 (PDT)

> >From hulthage Wed May 14 22:12:31 1997
>
> >     Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 19:44 EDT
> >     From: hbaker@netcom.com (Henry G. Baker)
> >
> >     > I think I can count on my hands how many people think
> >     > complex numbers should be retained in a new CL.
>
> I have to disagree strongly. Complex numbers are very important in
> mathematics, physics and engineering.
>
> Ingemar Hulthage
> 23327 Paloma Blanca Dr.
> Malibu, CA 90265

Please note that the quote above attributed to me is not actually from
me!  It is improperly attributed.

I agree that complex numbers are very important in mathematics, physics
and engineering.  Please see

ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/hb/hbaker/Gaussian.html  (also .ps.Z)

for an example of my interest in complex numbers.

My comment was that numbers are _so_ important, that there is
something wrong with CL if numbers can _only_ be primitive and cannot
be programmed in the language.  This limits extensions such as padics,
because it is unlikely that padics will be added to CL any time soon.

So I think we are in violent agreement!

--
Henry Baker
www/ftp directory URL: