pathnames

Alaric B. Williams alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk
Fri, 16 May 1997 20:27:22 +0000

> I suggest that any versioning system based on magical file system
> primitives is doomed to fail. Sure you can add functions to
> explicitely say what you want to do in all these cases, but then the
> system isn't a magical behind the scenes thing anymore. So why have it
> as some built in primitive? Let people create a versioning system
> appropriate to what _their_ application needs to do.

Hmmm... interesting scenario; I see what you mean.

You're right, I wasn't generic enough. There should be a version
tree, but I still think the filer needs to work in terms of a container
for all the versions, no matter how they are organised inside.

How about this:

All versions contains a "from" pointer, which simply points to the
version it came from?

Then you have the numbering, by counting arcs in a simple linear version,
and you have the power.

Can anyone think of any cases that it breaks?

ABW
--
Alaric B. Williams (alaric@abwillms.demon.co.uk)

   ---<## OpenDOS FAQ ##>---