Language 'standards' for LispOS

cwg@DeepEddy.Com cwg@DeepEddy.Com
Mon, 19 May 1997 15:25:23 -0500

--==_Exmh_1756361635P

> Hmm, from my (and many other people's) experience with porting non-
> trivial C programs, I'd rather say that it showed how important it
> is (both for implementations and for programmers) to care for a
> reliable standard, to avoid the mess of having to run sophisticated
> configuration tools and needing lots of #ifdef and portability fixes
> and so on. As soon as one looks at the more interesting features,
> portability on Unix variants is all but trivial.

I think Larry Wall, et. al. said this best:

	"Perl was written in C, not because it's a portable language, but
	 because it's a ubiquitous language.  A bare C program is about as
	 portable as Chuck Yeager on foot."

		--- Footnote explaining the library for accessing configuration
		    information on page 385 of _Programming_Perl_, 2nd Edition

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                    O-              cwg@DeepEddy.Com
  Deep Eddy Internet Consulting                     +1 512 432 4046

--==_Exmh_1756361635P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQB1AwUBM4C3LJaQnaaFII2dAQH+VwL8CKIjTrP9dNGjlULg93MvlHsl2QUYm68I
9pRlZ0nel2k/vpQ7eT1t2/N6SZAQfUMsWfrddVfU8kmqseHpbhDgPsx0Cz1grDKM
r6lgXbkMl9nahb6QMCuPlXkQSHBqVNYz
=NSLx
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1756361635P--