Versioning and persistence

Patrick Logan patrickl@servio.gemstone.com
Wed, 21 May 97 08:23 PDT

    Dwight> There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the
    Dwight> issues of how the OOFS and/or POS and/or OODB will be
    Dwight> integrated robustly into the LispOS *and* be able to
    Dwight> emulate a "normal" file system when required.

I would recommend starting with little ambition. Use the OS kit from
Utah and run at least a simple file system at the C level. Build the
Lisp world on top of that. The useful abstractions that evolve over
the years will ride out whatever happens underneath (because you're in
it for the long haul, right? Gemstone is fifteen years old).

    Dwight> Some possible complications to the LispOS "image" will be
    Dwight> Virtual Machines as first class objects and the
    Dwight> possibility of supporting "alien"
    Dwight> programs/languages/binaries.

I would suggest starting, as I wrote in a message a minute ago,
considering something like Kali Scheme's first-class address
spaces. Then go from there to provide varying degrees of replication
and detachment.

--
Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl@gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556