Kernel LISP - how low down can it go?

BRIAN SPILSBURY zhivago@iglou.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 00:14:22 -0400 (EDT)

MM>   Why do you think you need access to the underlying machine's
MM> individual instructions? About the only thing I can think of that's
MM> written in assembler in the version of Unix I'm familiar with is the
MM> initialization code (setting up the CPU) and the first level TLB MISS
MM> handler. Nothing else needs to be in assembler.

Nothing needs to be compiled either, but its nice to have the option.
Nothing needs to be written in lisp either. :)

But the freedom to be able to access the nuts and bolts is a good thing
imho. Personally I would minimize the use of assembly level lisp,
but the compiler will certainly want them, hmm? So if we are going to
have them we might as well do it right.

Brian