A Summary of Project so far [Re: Kernel LISP - how low down can it go?]

Patrick Logan patrickl@servio.gemstone.com
Wed, 21 May 97 22:43 PDT

    Dwight> Threading implementation has been discussed some, though
    Dwight> not in any detail - an early favorite is continuations as
    Dwight> threads, though futures have also been presented (my
    Dwight> understanding is that these approaches don't mix well).

I cannot fill you in on the details, but Marc Feeley's Gambit Scheme
compiler mixes continuations and futures. I thing his PhD thesis was
on an efficient meeting of these two minds.

    Dwight> For the user interface, CLIM will certainly be important,
    Dwight> as will X (CLX?). Beyond that, there has been no more
    Dwight> detailed discussion.

Gack. X? Only as a temporary measure, eh? I have to follow the links
to current free CLIM implementations. I remember there was one about
7-10 years ago that was fairly far along. I guess in those days it was
a Genera-clone, not a CLIM clone.

There are two or three GUI/graphics projects to replace X with
something more ideal on Linux. Maybe these are known to this list as
well.

--
Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl@gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556