A Summary of Project so far

Dwight Hughes dhughes@intellinet.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 01:49:21 -0500

| From: Patrick Logan <patrickl@servio.gemstone.com>

|     Dwight> Threading implementation has been discussed some, though
|     Dwight> not in any detail - an early favorite is continuations as
|     Dwight> threads, though futures have also been presented (my
|     Dwight> understanding is that these approaches don't mix well).
|
| I cannot fill you in on the details, but Marc Feeley's Gambit Scheme
| compiler mixes continuations and futures. I thing his PhD thesis was
| on an efficient meeting of these two minds.

I will have to look for that - futures can be very nice for taking
advantage of parallel architectures.

|     Dwight> For the user interface, CLIM will certainly be important,
|     Dwight> as will X (CLX?). Beyond that, there has been no more
|     Dwight> detailed discussion.
|
| Gack. X? Only as a temporary measure, eh? I have to follow the links
| to current free CLIM implementations. I remember there was one about
| 7-10 years ago that was fairly far along. I guess in those days it was
| a Genera-clone, not a CLIM clone.

Now that I think about it some more, I believe the X discussion centered
more around the importance of being able to view the LispOS remotely on
X terminal emulators. What would be the minimum required to do this?

| There are two or three GUI/graphics projects to replace X with
| something more ideal on Linux. Maybe these are known to this list as
| well.

One problem we have with XFree86 is that their video device drivers
are spread all over the X interface, so we can't incorporate them
into the Flux OS Toolkit. One of these projects has been mentioned
but I haven't followed up yet -- I'm mainly interested in someone else
developing nice modular device drivers for us ;), not so much the
GUI itself at this point.

-- Dwight