Kernel LISP - how low down can it go?

Guy Footring gfootrin@ford.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 14:49:45 +0000

> From: "Dwight Hughes" <dhughes@intellinet.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 21:19:57 -0500

  [...]

> CMU-CL defines some assembly level operations but I've just begun to look
> at what they have done.
>
> If we do this we might want to define a nice generic set of assembly
> language instructions with mapping to the particular CPU and
> architecture being used, though this might be more trouble than
> it's worth. Where has this been done before?
>
> -- Dwight

I believe that this is pretty much what the TAOS people have done.
If I remember correctly (from a limited exposure a few years back)
they have a TAOS assembler language that is a set of operations found for
most conventional processors.  They can then translate this on the fly
and reasonably efficiently for any of their target processors, or
mix it with assembler for a specific processor (thereby losing portability).

I believe someone posted a URL for TAOS a while back and it may give more
up-to-date info

Guy.