A Summary of Project so far

Dwight Hughes dhughes@intellinet.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 18:00:41 -0500

| From: Patrick Logan <patrickl@servio.gemstone.com>

  [  snip  ]
|     Dwight> I'm mainly interested in someone else developing nice
|     Dwight> modular device drivers for us...
|
| Looks like the OS kit is headed in that direction for display
| drivers. But could headless be an option, supporting only Telnet,
| HTTP, Java/RMI, and/or Tk?

A proposal was made to make the LispOS into a web-only server and
interact thru browsers. Most of us had a violent allergic reaction
to the concept. I would definitely want LispOS to be able to interact
in a pure server mode, but I don't want that to be its primary
personality (that's certainly not what *I* am most interested in).
For a beginning though, we might want to look at supporting Telnet
to ease development. Once we get the OS to run its own development
tools then we could interact with it using just about any available
computer or OS, even Windoze. It would simplify the amount of hardware
we would have to have piled about. Of course, if any of your changes
hose the Telnet functionality, you lose.

-- Dwight