More why [not] X?

Patrick Logan patrickl@servio.gemstone.com
Thu, 22 May 97 22:47 PDT

    Chris> Let me propose that X is good at what it does, and good for
    Chris> building whatever higher level abstractions on top you
    Chris> might like. If you don't use X, you'll have to roll your
    Chris> own anyway, so why not use it?

We'll have to disagree that X is good at anything.

Rather than X or rolling a new one, there are several efforts underway
at creating a "better X than X" for Linux.

And to sound like a brokern record that others have been playing too
(such as Kelly), there's a cost/benefit to supporting HTTP,
etc. rather than (or at least before) the X protocol.

--
Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl@gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556