ZetaBase and immutable objects

Scott L. Burson gyro@zeta-soft.com
Fri, 23 May 1997 13:22:19 -0700 (PDT)

If I may be forgiven going on a little more about ZetaBase --

Henry's argument about immutable, freely copyable objects being cheaper than
mutable ones applies very directly to ZetaBase.  It doesn't currently have
support for them, but I don't think it would be hard to add.  Such objects
would be accessed directly rather than via a handle, giving a performance
improvement in both space and time.  (Since they're immutable you don't have
to worry about forwarding, and since they're freely copyable they'll never be
the target of a cross-segment pointer -- we just copy them into the referring
segment.)

-- Scott